Hancock’s Annual Meeting was held yesterday, January 27th, and addressed all five articles on the warrant. Highlights include:
- Reports from our ministers, treasurer, and moderator.
- A wonderful reading by Historian Sue Rockwell of poems written by Hancock women in 1895 following a fundraising campaign, plus one sung by Harriet Chmela.
- Honoring of our newest 50-year members: Ken and Marcia Bushnell, Carolyn Parrish, Bruce and Louise Rankin, and Edward and Roberta Sorenson.
- Passage of the operating budget for 2013. You can see the approved budget here: 2013 Proposed Budget and Finance Report for Annual Meeting
- Approval of two key measures for our capital campaign:
- The first authorized a construction loan, to be paid back from payments on pledges already made, that will allow construction of the elevator, stairwell and other improvements to begin this spring.
- The second approved inclusion in the construction project of needed improvements to our kitchen, TV broadcast and sanctuary sound systems, and Christian Education wing. These improvements are estimated to cost $500,000, and the congregation agreed to borrow as necessary to pay for them, but also to give everyone an opportunity in the meantime to add to the pledges they made last spring to offset these expenses.
Yesterday we came together in the congregational tradition to debate and decide issues of importance to our church, and to celebrate our lives together. Thanks to all who helped with the logistics and communications to help the meeting operate as effectively and smoothly as it did.